Here’s what’s for lunch today. Getting cozy with this super simple, definitely warm and filling bean soup. With a side of veggies. Perfect for a frigid snowed-in day in New England. Recipe below.
6 cups chicken broth
1 large celery stalk, medium dice
1 large carrot, medium dice
4 fresh garlic cloves, minced. (i roasted mine first in a dry skillet, skins on, until soft)
1 large yellow onion diced ( i diced half and left half in larger chunks)
3-4 tbsp tomato paste
3/4cup tomato sauce (plain or with herbs)
about a cups worth of diced kale leaves or spinach
1 can canellini beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
3/4cup green peas
cooked shredded chicken/turkey
Ditalini or orzo pasta, wild rice, or grain of your choice
Herbs: Bay leaf, Thyme (sprig or dried) oregano, Salt, pepper, ground sage
*optional* lemon zest/juice & parsley for finishing
- Sweat the onion in a pan over medium heat with olive oil.
- when onion has softened slightly add garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaf and spices/herbs stir until just slightly softened.
- Add tomato paste to the veggies and stir, about 3 minutes until raw tomato paste flavor is gone.
- Add tomato sauce and stir.
- Add chicken stock and simmer on low until the veggies are cooked
- Add shredded chicken, green peas and both cans on drained beans. bring pot back up to a simmer.
- In a separate pot, cook pasta or rice (your choice) until just slightly underdone. Add to the pot and resume to a simmer
- Before serving add greens of choice (kale/spinach) and finish with fresh grated parmesan cheese, grated lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice.